Save the Date!
KACE Virtual Annual Conference
December 2-3, 2020
KACE 2021 Keynote Speakers
Stephenie K. Smith, MSW and Dr. Rodney Smith
Sophic Solutions, LLC.
Equity In Action: Understanding Race in America
Stephenie and Rodney will take us through an engaging keynote that will explore subconscious assumptions about race in America and how that shows up in our work in career development. Ultimately, this discussion affords participants the opportunity to interrogate this topic in a safe environment, learning and unlearning terms and concepts that fuel racism. We will specifically address the following themes/topics:
What participants can expect:
- Guiding Principles of Equity
- Defining Conflated Terms (ex. Diversity, Inclusion, Belonging, Equity…etc.)
- Racism, Anti- racism and white supremacy
- How we can better support our students by practicing Cultural Humility
- Participants will be afforded the opportunity to engage in real introspection and critical reflection.
- Participants will explore the fluidity and ubiquity of race and racism in American society.
- Participants will walk away with strategies to advance diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging in their personal and professional lives.
We have a day and half planned full of various topics in career development for both employers and college career advisors. Breakout session topics include (but not limited to):
- Virtual career fairs for first-year students
- Instagram basics
- Virtual internships
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion topics on anti-racists recruitment practices, diversity at work, and gender-inclusive pronouns
- Partnerships across campus
- Coaching tools for creative problems solving
- Roundtable disucssions for employers and college career advisors
Registration will open in October, so stay tuned!